Tis the season for joy and celebration, right? Well for most of us it is, but for that senior you know it may be a time of sadness and loneliness.
They may be living alone or have had to move into an assisted living facility or nursing home. The family that is left may live out of state or just don’t take the time to visit. And many of their friends may no longer be around.
The elderly can be very depressed this time of year.
But there are things you can do to help. Here are 7 tips on how you can help a senior this holiday season.
7 Tips On How You Can Help a Senior This Holiday Season
1. Make a point of actively listening when they want to talk, even if what they talk about is sad and depressing. It is hard to be around people who are depressed but by taking a little time to listen you may help them feel like they are important and worth listening to.
2. Help them add decorative touches to their home or room in the long-term care facility. Who doesn’t feel a bit of happiness when they are surrounded by holiday decorations? If the senior you are visiting doesn’t have their own decorations bring a few things that you have and don’t need or use any more.
3. Cook traditional baked goods or treats with your loved one, or if that is not possible take them holiday goodies. They will be glad to have holiday treats to share with anyone who comes to visit.
4. Take them shopping to purchase gifts or help prepare a list and do the shopping for them.
And then assist in wrapping the gifts with them so they will look festive and be ready to give.
Or if the gifts are for out of towners, I’m sure the senior would be appreciative if you mailed them.
5. Seniors often can use help writing Christmas cards. Many elderly have friends and family that they would like to send a note to, but it may feel overwhelming to accomplish.
6. Take them to church if they are interested in attending. If they are not able to attend, contact their church of choice and see if someone from the church can come and visit.
7. The most important thing you can do with a senior to make them feel loved and included. This season spend time with a senior. It will not only make them feel good it, will make you feel good too!
And, if you are looking for additional information regarding this topic go to AgingCare.com
If there is a senior in your life, please take a little time to help them this holiday season.
Seniors need companionship and Align It All is here to help. Our passion is to help seniors live more fulfilling and happy lives. Please contact us if you have any questions or want to talk about our services. You can email me at: email@example.com